Kydex holsters are basically plastic holsters. This is due to the fact that its good properties come from the combination of the properties of acrylic and polyvinyl chloride (PVC), with the former having the rigidity, while the latter has the toughness. Since then, Kydex has been a renowned product globally.
We have researched some of the best rated kydex holsters and picked the best one out. Continue reading to find out what we think…
Kydex is a product of Sekisui SPI. Since the product has good properties of plastics, it has been molded to lots of shapes, gaining applications in the area of aircraft, housings, door liners, and two of the most common, the knife sheaths and the gun holsters.
Gun holsters made with Kydex can also be seen in the military, in shooting competition, as well as in civilians who want to protect themselves in case of emergency. Through years of development, Kydex holsters have proven themselves reliable and strong enough to be one of the best, if not the topmost one. If you are considering buying a kydex holster, check out the properties that each holster could give you.
Concealment Express IWB KYDEX HolsterMade in USA
This gun holster is of the type Inside The Waistband (IWB), which helps the wearer to be able to conceal the weapon around the waist when not in use. This holster is also easily adjustable, with a carry angle of up to 15 degrees. In addition, it comes with a belt clip. It also has an audible retention lock system, which notifies the wearer if it locks properly.
Since this concealment holster is Kydex, it is strong enough and rigid that it would not expand much for a long time upon placing the gun inside. It is also weighs just 3 ounces, and does not give additional size to the gun itself, making it ideal for concealment. For safety, the trigger of the gun is properly covered by the holster.
- This holster is also fit to wear around the appendix area, and does not irritate the skin.
- It’s easy to connect it to a belt, and is secure enough to avoid problems in re-holstering.
- The Kydex material is strong and does not irritate the skin unlike the leather counterpart.
- This holster also comes with sweat shield.
- This holster can be clipped over the jeans, however using a belt will make it more secure.
- Wearing this holster without a belt is not recommended. Having a belt makes the holster more secure around your waste due to the clip from the holster that is attached to the belt. Although the holster can also be used without a belt, it could be a problem when you un-holster the gun.
- This holster is also not recommended for appendix carry, though it depends on the customer if he finds that it’s the better carrying position for him than on the waist.
Concealment Express KYDEX IWB Gun HolsterMade in USA
This holster is of the type Inside The Waistband (IWB), which is an ideal way to conceal the weapon when it is not being used. For optimum concealment, the wearer can use this holster while the shirt is un-tucked. The holster is also very adjustable, with the carry angle of up to 15 degrees.
Accompanied in the design of this holster is the ‘Posi-Click’, which is actually a system that produces an audible sound to signal that the holster is properly locked. In addition, there is an Integrated full sweat shield, making the holster dry. This holster is also very lightweight at 2.5 ounces. There is also a 1.5 inch belt clip to fasten the holster to the belt to be more secure in its place. The holster is made up of Kydex material, enabling long-lasting strength. This concealment holster is also custom made to perfectly fit the gun in it.
- The holster is perfect fit for the gun, it snaps when it is holstered inside. The holster protect the gun properly, with the trigger properly covered.
- The holster can be used even while riding a motorcycle or a car. It is comfortable enough that you might find yourself forget you are wearing the holster at all.
- The magazine button is very accessible but is not vulnerable in the process of holstering.
- The tension can be adjusted to fit the gun more if you find it loose.
- It is not much advisable to use it for appendix carry, because it would be bulky to conceal. It is better to use it on the waist part because of the added security made by the belt clip.
- The wearer has to wear a belt for a more secure holstering.
CYA- Inside Waistband Concealed Carry HolsterEditor’s Choice
This holster is made in the United States, and is manufactured using Boltaron, a material which possesses qualities that make the holster resistant to an increase in temperature, as well as in damaging impacts. This holster is also designed to provide less friction with the gun to avoid wear and tear during holstering. The said holster is of the type Inside The Waistband (IWB), which is for concealed carry.
- The holster is designed to remove the friction while holstering the weapon, thus preventing the wear and tear of the weapon due to excessive scratching.
- The material used in making this holster is resistant to abrasion, scratching, and is still stable at higher temperatures.
- This holster can also be used for appendix carry.
- It has two screws which you can adjust to fit according to the way you want it.
- None so far
When buying gun holsters, it is important to look for properties that make the holster strong, rigid, easy to conceal and carry, and most of all, comfortable. While there are numerous materials in making gun holsters, the best stand out such as the thermoplastic acrylic and PVC of Kydex and the less-friction and temperature resistance that of Boltaron.
Though the holsters hold the gun very securely, this does not necessarily mean that the un-holstering has to be difficult to the point that the holster will come out too. Some of the desirable properties of plastic holsters is that they are water proof, which can mean longer use of the holsters because water simply can’t destroy the quality of the holster.
In addition, the shape of plastic holsters does not change under normal conditions, and maintains the integrity. Also when buying, it is also recommended to see if there is an audible sound that signals the gun being secured into place inside the holster.
In comparison with their leather counterparts, Kydex holsters are more desirable as they have properties that can’t be seen on leather holsters. Leather holsters are appealing to the eyes due to the designs that can get along with it, but for concealed carry, this would not be an issue.
However, leather holsters can change when the environment where it is in also changes. For example, when the moisture around changes, the quality of the leather may be affected.
Leathers are also not rigid compared with that of plastic. When a leather holster gets wet, it will affect the ability of the holster to secure the gun inside, unlike in the plastic holsters, which can be dried in a simple wiping at once. The design of the plastic holster has also improved by the use of audible sound clicks, indicating that the weapon has been secured.
Read next article:Best Inner thigh Holster For Women
Go back to read more reviews about holsters.